Monday, October 1, 2012

Weekend Recap: 18 miler + coaching

My marathon training has been well not that great. I feel like I might take it more seriously if I was running this race for my own time goal. I'm not complaining though, I am happy with my decision to just run this for fun and stick to my M's side. Never the less I am hitting my long runs over the weekends and will try to up my weekday mileage now that I all my post ironman fatigue is finally gone.

On Saturday M mapped us out 18 miles of fun all over DC and of course no long run would be complete without including wonderful Haines Point. The point just seems so much better on a bike...


Anyhow, we started off our run with long sleeve shirts on, stupid! After about a half of mile we turned back around to our house and ditched our shirts. This was the best decision ever because we really didn't need them. M, aka Jason, as pretty much dead one with hitting all his mile splits right around 10:30 - 10:45. He actually runs faster up hill then downhill which makes no sense to me. And he made sure we had plenty of hills on our run. Mass - to Connecticut - to Macomb. Fun.


I think we both felt pretty good through about mile 13, then we hit the waste land of Haines Point. It's just lonely down there and the sun beats down on you. It is good practice for MCM though as I remember this being the worst part when I ran it in 2004. Anyhow, all I could think about was how in the hell did I finish Louisville? My legs were hurting at mile 15 and I didn't even swim or bike beforehand. We refilled our water bottles at this point and took a two minute walk break. This is actually the first time we took a walk break. The last three miles were uneventful as we made our way home down Independence and before we knew it 18 miles were done. I was glad to be finished and I was glad to be running at M's pace instead of my own.
Actually I don't even know if I could even run faster than that at this point. I don't even know how I used to even run fast (well fast for me).

Sunday was a fun filled day of that included teaching two floor routines. I was at our gym from 9am - 2pm dancing around on the floor. It was fun though and I remembered why I like coaching. My gymnasts loved their routines and were smiling from ear to ear. I love seeing that.


After coaching, I went for a nice little recovery swim at Fairland's pool. I love that I work at a sportsplex because it makes it so easy to go from gymnastics to swimming.


The pool was very uncrowded and I got 2000 meters in before heading home and crashing.

So that was my weekend. I hope everyone had a great one as well and good job to everyone who raced.

Happy Monday All :)


No comments:

Post a Comment