Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Training Update...


How has my training been going? Hmm... it's been going ok I guess. I am in week 11 of a 20 week 70.3 training program. Which puts me at week 4 of a 24 week 140.6 training program. Like last year I am not using a coach and using training programs I found online or in books. I am kind of blending the two programs together which seems to work out fine since the big IM training block doesn't start till around June anyhow. If anyone is interested in my training spread sheet just let me know and I am happy to share it.
 
Anyhow, like I said training has been going ok. I missed 2 key (longer) bike rides due to being in NYC one weekend and racing in RnR USA half the next. I think not doing the ride after my half was key to recovery (my legs were shot) so I don't feel bad missing that ride at all. The NYC on the other hand I do feel bad about. Regardless I don't plan on missing any more, but I do understand that life just gets in the way sometimes. Also with competition season winding down for my gymnasts  - we only have one meet left at the end of April - it will make my training schedule a little easier. Trying to squeeze training in while working 12 + hours coaching on the weekends is hard.
 
The big thing for me right now is to get the most out of my workouts instead of just going through the motions. Really looking at quality here. I would like to improve both my 70.3 (at IM Raleigh) and IM (at IM Mount Tremblant) times this year and I know that involves a lot of hard work. The biggest area I feel like I slack at is swimming. I kind of always just swim at whatever pace feels comfy to me. I don't time myself on sets and just look at the clock when I get in the water and when I get out. This has to change. Swimming is by far my weakest. I need to push myself more.
 
Also this weather! OMG is it ever going to get warm out? And will the wind ever stop blowing. The weather is just killing my motivation. Especially on the bike and my morning runs. I complained all day that I didn't want to ride yesterday but I still got my butt out there. 9 laps at Haines Point was sole sucking and the wind, ugh the wind, it never seems to disappoint. Although I feel like I am getting stronger and instead of riding 13 - 14mph into the nasty headwinds I can now hit 16-17. Improvement. Yippy. My morning runs are a different story. Every Wednesday I set my alarm for 5:40 and every Wednesday I re-set it till 6:40. Sleep! But it's not so much about the sleep or feeling tired, it's more about it being pitch black outside and cold. Once again no motivation to run in that. Most days I put it off till lunch time. Today is no different. But I hate running during the day because I always look like a mess at work when I come back. Oh well I suppose, such is life.
 
Next week is a recovery week aka taper week which I am looking forward to. My first tri of the season is White Lake Sprint, April 7th. I want to do well, but it's not a A race or anything so yeah not really tapering for it. Recovery week just happens to fall next week which works out perfect. The race itself should be fun, but I am a little sacred that I am going to be cold. Looks like it might be a high of 65 in NC next weekend although it's too early to tell. How hard are arms warms to put on soaking wet? Or maybe just a jacket on the bike? Blah I have little bit more time to worry about it.
 
Ok I have done enough rambling for today.
 
Happy Wednesday All :)

1 comment:

  1. I think you are doing well, we all miss workouts here and there because of life getting in the way. I can't wait to hear about your first tri of the season! Our first multi-sport event is a duathlon the end of April and our first tri isn't until June 2nd.

    ReplyDelete