Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Missing a Workout...

Do you ever have one of those days you just don't feel like doing anything?

I had one of those days last Saturday, although my day did not start off like that. I guess the fatal mistake I made was going to do errands first before doing my 2 hour trainer ride. By the time I got home from running around VA it was about 2 o'clock. I was hungry as I didn't really eat lunch but I tried getting on the trainer anyhow. 5 minutes into the spin I was hungry. surprise. So I got off and ate a little snack. I tried getting back on about a half hour later and lasted only 5 minutes again. I just didn't feel into it and knew I would get nothing out of the workout.

About an hour later - I was mad at myself and knew I would be mad at myself for skipping the workout. I had no time to do it the next day as I would be coaching for 12 hours. So attempt number 3 on the trainer came and went. Once again I only lasted 5 minutes and got off the thing.

For the next two hours I watched M take his turn on the trainer and I wasn't jealous and I wasn't upset. Yes I completely missed my workout for no good reason other than being lazy. Yes I know it's bad to skip workouts. Yes I know that this workout leads up to another workout. But I skipped it anyhow.

I do not miss workouts very often and I def am not making a habit out of this! I had the day off of work on Monday and thought about squeezing this ride in with my long run & swim that were moved from Sunday. But then I thought I would just make myself super fatigued for the rest of the week doing all 3 sports on the same day. Not worth it.

Anyhow, if you miss a workout - do you try to make it up or just let it be?

Happy Wednesday All :)

5 comments:

  1. Ugh, I hate when that happens. But there are times where maybe your body is trying to tell you something. Maybe you need a break, either physically or mentally. Sometimes I try to make it up, but usually I just have to let it be. But I don't stress out about one missed workout. It's when you start missing several in a week that becomes a problem, but one little glitch, just like one little cupcake won't hurt you. It's the other dozen that add up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me both this weekend- though mine was to be a mind-numbing 3 hours on the trainer on Sunday. It was meant to be an outdoor ride, but the weather didn't get my memo.
    I slept WAY too late on Sunday, then just simply had no desire or energy to try.
    I knew I'd be made at myself, but on the other hand didn't care. I asked my coach once about "making up" a workout and was met with a resounding NO. We just move on from it. It happens. Life happens.
    I try really heard not to miss many because I don't want that to be the new normal, and I'm also very good at tearing myself down for missing any- which is NOT a good place to be either. Self forgiveness is something I'm working on within this Tri-training world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just let it be! No one single workout is going to make or break your training and you don't want to risk injury or fatigue by trying to fit something in later that doesn't belong. Running errands in this area is very stressful and it's no wonder you lacked motivation to workout afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I try to make it up but usually ends up making me extra tired like you said. Just skip it and move on and try not to worry about it - easier said than done of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had a lot of those days. When it happens to me, I just try not to feel guilty and use it as a "mental health day". Like Elizabeth said, no one workout will make or break your training.

    ReplyDelete