Monday, May 21, 2012

Weekend Recap - Fun in the Sun

I can't complain about how my weekend went. I got plenty of time in the sun and lots of good workouts in.
Saturday ~
My alarm went off bright and early - hello 5:30am - on Saturday morning. Although I still got plenty of sleep because being the exciting person I am, I went to bed at 9 o'clock on a Friday night. Anyhow, I was out the door by 6 and on my way to meet up with Louisville bound buddies Holli and Zach for a long bike ride up to Poolesville. And what is great about the Poolesville ride is that the elevation profile pretty much mimics the Louisville course, which makes it the perfect training ride.

Poolesville Ride

IM Louisville Course

It was cold out when I left my house, but yet I didn't wear my arm warmers. I'm so smart and thought it was too warm out to wear them. Wrong. I pretty much bitched about this decision until oh I don't know when because I couldn't feel my fingers at all. It did warm up half into the ride though. The ride itself went well. I'm a little slower than the other two, but I was able to keep up with them for the most part. Once up in Poolesville we were greeted by the friendly locals. Not. Lets see we had a car beep loudly at us by the high-school and then right past the gas station we had a car yell out the window at us. Fun.
We only made two stops on the ride. One to try to fix Holli's x-wing as her wedge was dangling onto her back wheel. The other was for a potty break at the BP on Falls where we were able to talk to other DC Tri-ers for a bit. I also took this chance to eat my peanut butter and jelly sandwich that I had. OMG it tasted so good at this point.
We made our way back into the city and to Haines Point. I only did one small loop then headed home. The other two did a few more loops. I felt like a little bit of a wimp for not finishing up the ride with them, but I was happy when I got home and saw I had ridden 77 miles for the day. This is actually the longest I have ridden so far :) 
After getting home, I packed my bags and Jason and I headed down to Fredericksburg to pick up our packets for the Marine Corp Historic Half marathon.

Then we made our way to my cousin's house were we relaxed for the rest of the day.

Sunday ~
Beep beep beep - two days in a row the alarm went off at 5:30 in the morning. Sleeping in would be nice, but nah running in a race is more fun. I would only be using this race as a training run and a chance to do my long run for the day with lots and lots of people around me :) Jas on the other hand was trying to PR and I gladly was ready to help pace him to do so!  
I will not get into a lot of detail as I'll let Jason write up his race report for later in the week, but it was such a fun race. I think I had a smile on my face for most of the run and loved being able to run side by side with my M. We crossed the finish line holding hands and Jason finished with a 11 minute PR. I'm so proud of him!

After the race we headed back to the Hill and went straight to brunch. 2 margaritas after running meant someone was buzzed. haha. and not it was not me as I only had water :)

Overall, it was a great weekend and I wouldn't have changed anything.
I hope everyone had a great weekend too!
Happy Monday All :) 


  1. Sounds like a fantastic weekend!! Awww you finished holding hands how cute!

  2. That does sound like a lot of fun. The weather really cooperated too! :-)

  3. What a great weekend! Congrats on your longest ride! It's kind of scary how closely your ride resembles the Louisville course, what a great warmup ride.

  4. Great ride and run girl! I didn't realize just how closely Poolesville Ride resembled Louisville - kind of scary. I may have to do it again this weekend.

  5. Fun weekend ! I think I rode Poolesville almost every weekend last summer to get ready for Ironman-love the hills!