Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pumpkin Contest

This weekend I was happy to relax a little bit on race withdrawal since I had race the past three weekends in a row. So when my uncle brought home 8 pumpkins and suggested that we have a pumpkin carving contest, I jumped at the chance to join in on a different type of competition. 

Our Pretty Pumpkins!

I haven't actually craved a pumpkin in I don't know how many years and I'm not very creative. The pumpkins sat outside overnight and were super cold when scrapping out all the seeds and slimy stuff. Jason hated taking out the seeds and admitted that this was the first time he had ever carved a pumpkin. I went with a classic design that wasn't too original.


My Dad on the other hand took the pumpkin off seriously. He got a pen and drew his design on before cutting it. And by cutting it, I mean he got a jigsaw power saw to cut it!! He wouldn't let anyone else see his pumpkin until he was completely finished! And guess what.. it was a classic design as well :)

We had all our family members who arrived on Sunday judge the pumpkins for their favorite. My Dad won by a land slide and he was so excited!!! He ran around pumping his fist up and down and yelling I'm number one. And the big prize cash prize... we had each put in 2 bucks to enter the contest...so he won 16 bucks :)

 
Overall, this was such a good idea and was really a lot of fun for my family! But, the best part of the pumpkin carving contest was all the pumpkin seeds!!! I love them so much, they are so good!


Will you have a carved pumpkin sitting out on your porch for Halloween?
 
Happy Tues All :)

5 comments:

  1. lol thi is AMAZING! your dad looks so happy! and I loooove pumpkin seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning on carving a pumpkin, but that also involves me remembering to actually pick one up one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Using a jigsaw is a rather smart move, actually. Why did I never think of that??!?

    Saw you are doing Mooseman next year? Lemme know if you ever want to discuss gearing for that monster hill in that race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't carved a pumpkin in a while. And my brain always thinks it can do something a lot more fancy than is actually possible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun!!! And yummy pumpkin seeds. I have never carved a pumpkin myself, but have been part of group carvings as a cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete