Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Not sure how to train?

So since registering for my IM last week I have done nothing but think about the IM. I have had nightmares about it already, I have cried watching IM youtube videos, I have felt sick to my stomach, I have, etc etc etc.
 
But really what I have been doing is trying to decide how the heck I am going to train for this??? I have looked high and low on the internet and have found a couple good training plans. Of course these are just generic training plans and not tailored to what I might need or what fits into my schedule. I was curious about what other people have done or are doing and came across this website all about IMs. It seems like a good source to know what others are doing to prepare for Louisville or just to reach out to others who will be taking the same journey.  
  
Anyhow, I still have not decided if using a plan off the internet (and changing it around a bit to fit into my schedule) or hiring a coach would be best ?? I am worried that if I use an IM training program it will not work with my 70.3 I have planned for June 3rd. Or I guess I'm not sure how to train for the 70.3 while training for an IM 3 months later.
 
Advice/tips are welcome 
 
Happy Tuesday All :)

5 comments:

  1. It seems like most Ironman bloggers I follow get a coach. I would probably do that too because then you have a support system for when you have above mentioned nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.amazon.com/Triathlete-Magazines-Essential-Week--Training/dp/0446696765/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321959087&sr=8-1

    Check out that book - I have it and think it's a great tool. I think seeing what a plan may entail could help you decide if you can do it yourself or need more direction. And having a plan like this all laid out is nice if you need to shift things based on 'real life' commitments.

    I'm doing a HIM either June 3/4 or the following weekend (if I get of the Eagleman waitlist), so you can definitely work it into your program (my IM is the weekend before yours I think). Build in a week or two taper before and a week recovery after the race and it's actually perfect timing to start building to your peak training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea. If I were going to do an Ironman I'd get a coach! Katie has one I think she likes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a coach for the past couple of years, but it can be quite expensive. I think I'm going to go without one this year. Have you done a half before or is Mooseman your first?

    It's definitely worth talking to a couple of people who have done an Ironman before and who have been doing the long distance stuff for a while to get some perspectives.

    Books are definitely a good way to start learning. The Triathlete Training Bible is a good one. What other book did you get?

    You are going to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. if you can afford a coach, that might be the easiest way - not just from a training plan perspective but someone who could answer all the other questions you might have about race day. I didn't have a coach and just worked off a plan online which worked fine for me. I think you will find that the 70.3 three months out from your 140.6 won't be a problem. You just need to make sure training-wise that you have ramped up enough in terms of mileage to do a 70.3 when it rolls around.

    ReplyDelete