Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Running through History

Over the three day weekend I spent my time visiting with my aunt in Fredicksburg, VA. I was a little worried that I would not be able to get my 8 mile run because the roads are 55mph out here and I had no clue were the running trails/paths were at.

Then my M in shining armor came to my rescue and did what any one would do and went to the real knight in shining armor: google. I soon realized that my cousin only lived about 10 miles from the Spotsylvania Court House Battlefield. The battlefield offers lots of paved roads that are basically traffic free, so I knew this was the spot to run :)


It was also cool that this battle was part of the Civil War Trails. Well, cool to those who like a little history I guess.


Once I got out of my car I saw a cool map and thought it might be fun to run along the path they had mapped out and if I wanted to, I could stop and do a little reading along the way. But I got a little lost once I started and ended up just running.


  

My one fault to my perfect battlefield run was that it was about 22 - 27 degrees out when I started this run at 7:30. It was freezing!!! But what idiot doesn't like to run in the cold before the sun is shining....Oh me, me! My first mile I was sucking in the coldest air and I pulled my hands into my shirt even though I had gloves on already. No one else was out running and I thought to myself:  yep I'm an idiot. Never the less, as I ran along I did start warming up.



Despite the cold, it ended up being an enjoyable run over all. As I ran along the park road there was informational points of interests stating the history of the battle.



Even though I only stopped to take some quick pictures, it would have been nice to take the time to read everything. It was interesting to run through a battlefield and think of all the history that took place in this spot, plus the scenery was gorgeous.



Another plus of this run was all the hills! There was no shortage of them and well I need to fall in love with hills over the next few months. So what a perfect day to start my new love affair.


I was back to my cousins by 9am with a little slice of Spotsylvania's history with me and a whole lot of oh my josh I'm cold.


Happy Tues All :)

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a beautiful place to run! Glad you (well, M) found it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a beautiful run! I'm glad you didn't get stuck on the side of a highway.

    ReplyDelete