Monday, August 22, 2011

To ride a century or not?

hmmmm....I'm not even sure what to talk about here. My weekend was a big failure for my workouts.
 
I went to bed early on Friday at 9:30, but when my alarm went off at 5am I was just too tired. My body felt like it was sunk into my bed and I couldn't move, let alone peel my eyes open. Next thing I know it's 7:30 and my opportunity to ride 60 miles was gone! As I was visiting my family in Fredericksburg, VA later that day and the 6 hour round trip there & back basically sucked all my free time away. Ok, no biggie I guess, I'll just use Sat as a rest day since I did my long run of 10 miles on Friday anyhow.
 
Better luck tomorrow, right?
 
Wrong! Sunday I had to teach one of my girls her floor routine smack dap in the middle of the day at 1 o'clock. I knew I wouldn't have time to ride 60 miles, so my plan was just to ride 30 with a 40 minute brick run afterwards. I left with the boys (Jason and Wyn) at 7am. They were riding 70 and I was just going to ride 15 with them and turn around. I couldn't even make it 15 miles because I was feeling light headed and my stomach was really hurting. I kind of felt like I was going to pass out. So at only 7.5 miles I yelled to them that I didn't feel good and turned around to go home. Booo.. I rode a big whopping 15 miles!! And I felt too crappy to run when I got home, so I just jumped back in bed. I did however manage to teach my floor routine and dance around and sweat for a few hours. Which made me feel a little less like a sloth.
 
I guess this all leads to the every looming back roads century that I registered for. I really only registered for it because I get jealous/feel left out if someone else *aka Jason, in this case* is racing in something and I'm not. My heart is not into this century ride at all and in hindsight I should have just let Jason and his friend ride in on their own. But, with every weekend that passes and every weekend that I don't do a long ride this really becomes more and more out of reach for me to be able to finish on 9/18. I'm not even sure at this point that I will be able to make up for my lack of training and be able to ride it. I have been toying with the idea of just dropping down to the 56 miles ride instead. But, it's a tour and it's going to be boring to ride by myself. Plus, I don't want to look like a wimp while the boys are still out there riding while I'm already waiting at the finish line and enjoying the festivities. Ugg... I don't know what to do?? Help.
 
Have you ever registered for a race and wish you hadn't? Did you still race it anyhow??
 
Happy Monday All!

1 comment:

  1. You should check and see if the routes run together for a portion of the ride. If you can do the first 20 miles with Jason you'll have company and probably meet some fun people to ride the remaining 36 of the shorter-distance event. Riding 100 miles without enough training would probably make you more cranky than finishing before your husband!

    ReplyDelete