Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Nations Tri - Goals Post

So as the Nations tri approaches this weekend I have a few goals in mind.

1. Don't PANIC during the swim! For me this is always a little easier said than done. However, with the time trail start (I think 15 athletes, every 8 seconds) should spread us out nicely so I will not have someone swimming over top of me. Ok, someone will probably swim on me because I am slow. If I feel like I'm starting to panic or my sighting just down right sucks, I'm going to switch to the breast stroke to get my barings back. I will only stay in this stroke for a small amount of time then switch back to free. Overall, I think my goal is to survive the swim, which I think is my goal at every tri. Hopefully one of these days I will actually feel confident going into the water. This weekend just happens not to be that day.

2. Get my nutrition down on the bike. I am really bad at remembering to eat/drink while in a race! I want to try to get at least one water bottle down and maybe some shot blocks. It is also hard for me not to hammer it on the bike, so I want to make sure that I don't go all out so that I have some steam left for the run.

3. Enjoy myself on the run and not act like it's a death march. This is not torture, this is something that I willingly and gladly registered for.

4. Keep my eye out for the photographer and smile really big when I see him! Just because looking good in your race photos is half of the race :)

5. Really make sure I smile and wave when I see my family!!! My parents are coming from Ohio to cheer me on! I am so excited that they are coming and am so lucky to have such supportive parents. This will be their first tri they are watching so they will be in for a treat. Jason will also be in my cheering section running around like a chicken testing out his new lens on race pictures.

6. And the hardest for me: Whatever my time is when I cross the finish line I do not want to be disappointed with it. I want to be happy and proud of myself. At most races (ok all races) I always wish I did something differently or that I ran just a little faster. Then I proceed to wine about it for hours after the race. I just want to cross that finish line with a smile from ear to ear and not regret anything!

If you are also racing, good luck! If not, you should come down to cheer everyone on :)

5 comments:

  1. You are going to do awesome, Sarah! Team Z has a lot of people racing, so I will be down there cheering. I will look for you! Oh and Kiwi definitely needs a friend. :)

    GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, no numbers involved in your goals. I kinda like that idea, it's refreshing. You have a great attitude towards racing that I think is going to have you doing it for a long time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck this weekend! I wish I was going to be in town so I could come out and cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love #3 and #6! "This is not torture, this is something that I willingly and gladly registered for. " Sometimes I need to remember that myself! And I am also very hard on myself when I cross the finish line. Remember to focus on the positive things!

    Can't wait to hear about it! GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete