Thursday, July 21, 2011

Three Things Thurs

1. This week is just one of those weeks for me. Nothing seems easy about it and I can't seem to pull myself together to get motivated! It's like all these races are looming over my head and with each workout I skip, I worry that I will not be able to finish them. Trying to fit a workout in is not always easy or fun. Usually I make up a workout schedule in my head for the week and don't have a problem sticking to it. But, my excuse this week is really a big lack of sleep. I have been having to stay up till 12 all week for one reason or another and getting up at 5 / 5:30 is just out of the question for me. My body likes 8 hours of sleep and even though I'm not getting up to work out, I still have to be up at 6:30 to make it work on time. Tonight tells the same tail. I will not get home till 10 from swimming, then I have to pack for my Philly trip. Which means another late night. I know everyone sacrifices something to fit a work out in and I know am just complaining here. I just hope when my alarm goes off tomorrow morning that I can get myself out of bed and onto my bike for a short brick workout. I guess sometimes I wonder why we put ourselves through all this?
 
2. To go with the theme of #1. I'm going to keep complaining. Something around my right hip has really been hurting me. It has actually been a problem since about 09, but seems to come and go. One would think that I would go and have this checked out, but I haven't. During a ½ marathon in fall of 09 it was hurting so bad with every step that I took,  that I ended up having to walk the last three miles of the race. Even though I was walking, it still hurt with every step and tears were rolling down my face. This is the only race I have walked in, and as other runners went flying past me I felt defeated and that I had given up. Jason saw me from the side lines about 200 meters from the finish line and he jumped in the race next to me. We ran side by side to the finish as he was cheering me on! I loved that he was there for me and pushed me to build up the courage to run through the finish instead of walking. Once I finished, I started crying because I was in so much pain, but also because I was happy that I actually made it to the finish! I guess long story short is, whatever this problem is, it seems to act up with I really start over doing it on running. Which is odd because I haven't running really that much at all. It started to hurt again while on vacation with all the walking I was doing and seems to have gotten worse since I have been back.  
 
Finishing up a painful race .. but I was still smiling
 
3. To turn my focus off of tri-ing, I hosted a block happy hour at my house last night. I had lots of yummy food for everyone to eat to include: Cheese, grapes, apples, and crackers || Humus and mini breads || veggie plate || chips and salsa || cookies || and Swedish meatballs. Actually I had too much food, as I usually over do it at parties because I never want to be that host that runs out of food. It was a great time and some of our neighbors stayed over till 11:30 or so.
 


 
Do you ever keep pushing yourself when you know you probably shouldn't be? Happy Thurs All!!!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't been sleeping well the last few nights because we are petsitting a puppy. Usually when I'm not getting enough sleep I can't do morning workouts either, but this dog has been waking me up before 6 anyways...so I figure I should just get out of bed and workout because I'm awake. But normally, I choose sleep over workouts if I'm exhausted.
    I hope you get the hip checked out! I had a hip issue that kept me sidelined for 3 months a few years ago, and in the end all it needed was some consistent foam rolling and stretching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should go get your hip checked out, girlie! Mine bothers me from time to time. I put off going for a while but finally went, and the PT was actually VERY helpful, and gave me some stretches/exercises to do. I am not always great about doing them, but when it starts to get worse I usually start up again, and it actually did not bother me at all during the half ironman, which is almost a miracle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely couldn't manage to workout before work if I was up until 12. I need so much sleep!

    I hope the hip is feeling better soon and that you have fun in Philly!

    ReplyDelete